We’re keeping tabs on the tablet stats.
Thanks to the current iPad dominance, combined with anticipation for the new iPad mini, Apple is expected to lead the tablet market over the next 5 years. According to Natasha Lomas at TechCrunch, The iTunes App Store will retain its HQ status for app users, although companies like Samsung, Amazon and ASUS have dramatically increased their tablet market share since 2011.
Out of the 350 billion smartphone and tablet app downloads predicted between 2008 and 2017, Apple is expected to cut 56% of the share while the Google Play Store retains the other 45%.
It’s also worth noting that, due to an increase of free app downloads, paid app downloads are expected to peak in 2013. Analyst Josh Martin at Strategy Analytics believes paid apps will drop by 8 cents, as free apps claim more of the app economy in 2017.
The tablet market alone has boomed 49.5% year over year as of the third quarter 2012 (3Q12), including a 6.7% growth in 2Q12 alone. Considering tablet market share grabs by Amazon, Samsung, ASUS and Lenovo, this continued growth of the popular tablet device is hardly a surprise. Pew Internet reported that, as of August 2012, 25% of American adults are now tablet users.
So, let’s summarize all this tech-talk and number-throwing:
1. The tablet market is growing, lead by Apple and followed by ambitious tablet developers like Amazon. More tablet users means more mobile web access.
2. Paid app downloads will peak in 2013, while free app downloads increase. Any business developing apps needs to anticipate both.
The App, the Market and You.
Apple continues to dominate the tablet market. The tablet market continues to grow. App development is keeping pace with both. What is your business doing?
If your website needs to be optimized for mobile access, HyperDo will integrate your site with fluid mobile function that looks great in every device. Or, if you’re considering developing an app for your business, HyperDo will not only provide you with stellar development – we’ll parallel development alongside a mobile market strategy so that your app fits all mobile devices, generates revenue, and adapts to changes in the app market. That way, you can confidently launch a tested, market-conscious app without losing the hours you invested in it.
Contact us today to learn how to get the most out of your app and web development projects.
- Hello world! - November 1, 2016
- How Important is the new Googlebot Announcement from Last Week for your SEO Ranking? (HINT – don’t ignore it!) - August 4, 2015
- Content Management System Sanity Check – Drupal? Joomla? WordPress? What CMS road are you on? - May 20, 2015
- Do You Have a Backup Plan? - May 14, 2015
- The Only Mobile Test You Will Ever Need - April 22, 2015
- Speed and Mobile Now Matter for Google - April 9, 2015
- App and Tablet Market Share: Apple’s First, Free Apps are Second - November 28, 2012
- Goodbye, Internet Explorer 7 and 8. - October 19, 2012
- Mobile Survey Results - October 9, 2012
- What are Your Customers Thinking? - September 13, 2012