Google Announces Discontinued Support for Internet Explorer 7 & 8
Apropos Internet Explorer 10’s imminent release, Google recently announced on its company blog that support for Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8 will be discontinued.
IE 10 will be launched October 26, 2012. After November 15, writes the company blog, “users accessing Google apps services using Internet Explorer will see a message recommending that they upgrade their browser.”
Okay. It is common Google practice to upgrade with new browser versions and to maintain support for previous versions, while also dropping support for the third-oldest. Nothing new there.
So why blog about it?
While the company’s blog may not be sharing web-shattering news, you should be aware that the effects of dropping IE 7 & 8 support will have repercussions for Windows XP users.
For Windows XP users, Google’s decision will remove all Internet Explorer support because, as Computerworld points out, “Neither IE9, which Microsoft launched in March 2011, or IE10, which will debut alongside Windows 8 in late October, runs on Windows XP.”
In other words, if you cruise on Windows XP, make sure to choose a new browser like Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari, because your computer system won’t recognize the new IE generation.
If you need it, we’ll support it.
HyperDo plans to follow suit by dropping IE 7 & 8 support from our regular offering as well. However, if you prefer these versions and would like us to provide support for them, we’re happy to oblige. Just let us know.
We’re always a phone call away, so if you have any questions regarding browser support, you know how to reach us.
- Hello world! - November 1, 2016
- How Important is the new Googlebot Announcement from Last Week for your SEO Ranking? (HINT – don’t ignore it!) - August 4, 2015
- Content Management System Sanity Check – Drupal? Joomla? WordPress? What CMS road are you on? - May 20, 2015
- Do You Have a Backup Plan? - May 14, 2015
- The Only Mobile Test You Will Ever Need - April 22, 2015
- Speed and Mobile Now Matter for Google - April 9, 2015
- App and Tablet Market Share: Apple’s First, Free Apps are Second - November 28, 2012
- Goodbye, Internet Explorer 7 and 8. - October 19, 2012
- Mobile Survey Results - October 9, 2012
- What are Your Customers Thinking? - September 13, 2012